If you are just tired of the time it takes to code your DAO object then
there is an excellent wizard for eclipse called DAO (http://www.strecl.com).
It has cut my development time in half for standard JDBC development.

I have used OJB on projects and it is surely a great up and coming product
which is even now being used in many production environments. But, I found
that unless you are willing to be "on the edge" the DAO model is far more
predictable. Heck, by the time I worked through all the quarks and bugs that
are still being found (and created) in OJB I didn't find my development time
being shortened at all. Of course, I was only using the PB API. I never
tried the ODMG,JDO,etc... implementation. But, those are an abstracted layer
of an abstracted layer. I found that if you have a good design pattern and
some helpful tools to make it more efficient then you can do the job good
and efficient without having an abstracted layer. The way I see it.... I'll
wait for the object databases to grow in maturity and popularity and I'll
stick to standard JDBC now.

After all, SQL is relational and JAVA is object oriented. Making the
relational act as object-oriented comes at a price (not neccessarily
negative) and you should "fully" know what those are. There are trade-offs
both directions. Oh ya, and you still have to close the connection with OJB
too. So, get used to it. :-D

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245