From: Bradley G Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:19 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Axis/SOAP proposal for Struts

I readily admit to being relatively new to struts and have only deployed
2
applications with it. I am just now designing a 3rd application that
will
prototype a SOAP access layer into the business logic that is also
accessed
via a Struts web layer.

To the extent that the Model is independent of how the View is
implemented,
I agree with your points. I am not yet clear in my own mind that the
Model
for a SOAP access point would be completely congruent with a Struts
Model.

Brad

                      "Mike Oliver"

                      <ollie@appsaspee         To:      "'Struts Users
Mailing List'"
                      rs.com>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                               cc:

                      17-01-03 09:09           Subject: RE: Axis/SOAP
proposal for Struts
                      Please respond

                      to "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

I disagree.  MVC - A SOAP client requester is just another V, why
wouldn't you want to reuse the M and C?  I see very little difference
between a SOAP response and a Struts response in XML/XSLT.  I for one do
not want more than one set of Business Logic components on my Data
Model, regardless of the source of the Request.  I also see very little
difference between a SOAP Request with a serialized FormBean in it and
an html form post, except of course the format of the inputstream.  The
content, which is what matters, would be the same.

I would not modify the ActionServlet, but I would have an Axis/SOAP
entry point that did similar work and reused the Struts components
alongside the ActionServlet as an alternate entry point.  That means a
request from either a user on a web browser posting a form or doing a
get would execute the same RequestHandler, access the same Data Model
and business logic and get a response from a Forward that formed a SOAP
Response instead of a web page.

Michael Oliver
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.