From: husted [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 7:07 PM
To: struts-user
Cc: husted
Subject: design question about action chainning(As quoted in :Struts in
action...by Ted Husted et al..)

The best example of waht I'm calling an Action relay is how Struts
handles validation. If validation fails, the request is forwarded to the
input property, which could be another Action. This is done to complete
the response, rather than continue with processing the action.

This same technique is often used after a lookup, where one Action does
the lookup but another Action is used to complete the response, usually
to setup any tools the page might need to render.

In an Action chain, control is not forwarded simply to complete the
response but to continue processing. One action doesn't "do" some
similar activity because that's the another actions "job". The
request/response transaction begins to be distributed between several
Action, and this is where Action stop being destinations and start
becoming an API.

Most often, whatever processing the Action in a chain are supposed to be
doing can be refactored into base actions or utility classes, so the
funcationality can be reused using standard object-orientated techniques.

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,