> This is exactly what happens as the JCP standardizes things, like
> with JSTL and JSF. But diversity is good to bring out the qualities
> of competing implementations until there is a clear winner. So
> perhaps we will see more functionality of the frameworks
> standardized in the future. But I am not knowledgeable enough to say
> what is ready to be standardized and what is not. Craig is probably
> best to speak to this.

After doing a little bit of brainstorming of how in the world web frameworks could be
standardized, I came up with this idea. What do Craig and other think of think of this:

JCP could propose a JSR to standardize the API contracts between Controller<->View and
Controller<->Model to provide a common base for MVC-based Java web application
frameworks. Then the already existing frameworks such as Struts, SunONE, Expresso,
WebWork, etc. could implement these API contracts in order to enable developers to
write "application modules" that are portable accross MVC-based web application
frameworks. For instance, someone could write a shopping cart application module or an
RSS application module and everybody else could integrate it into their webapps based
on other frameworks with little or no modification.

Does this make sense to you or is this a futile imagination of mine?

Peace,
Mete