Hallo Greg,

consider again your url

"http://www.mymacine.com/myapp/my.tile.def";

which you get by using html tags. What else would you expect?
What should be in your server created html file? In my opinion the
url is indeed correct.

If your browser sends a request to the server the server is configured
to handle *.do and *.jsp. How is the server supposed to know how to
handle *.def?

Regards,
Dirk