Hi Everyone

I just have had a discussion with my boss with regards to why he prefers the
way of using a "push" mechanism "microsoft.xmlhttp" to return data to
client. (Client's browser doesn't reload when response is returned :) )

We are based in a very MS environment as you can see but he has been going
the "push" mechanism way for some time now. (ASP functions are called up via
send() request function of JavaScript MS xmlhttp comp.)

I'm trying to convince him that framework such as Struts is the answer to
many of our problems.

The main issue to him is the extra overhead constraint on bandwidth.
We are based in South Africa, Cape Town and the bandwidth here is quite poor
hence he would like to lower the roundtrip cost.

Example:
We have a system that has a tree view of data. Now as a tree, he would like
to keep the previously opened branches open while the new one is pushed into
the clients browser by the server hence only the newly expanded branch will
be returned as a response from the server.

Also note that he as a MS slave doesn't give a dam about platform
independency, not even multiple browser support. (Sad I know!)

Also with regards to security, he implies that we run our applications in a
very friendly environment, so people won't try to disable clientside
JavaScript validation as an example. It doesn't seem like a major issue
either. Development time-frame seems to be a big issue too.

I just can seem to convince him of the actual benefits of using Struts even
damn ASP.NET compared to his method of using a 2 tiered system with push
mechanism.

So anyone PLEASE help me get the benefit across to him!!! I would like to
put it into a table format or something for him to be able to scan through.
>From some experience in Struts I have got the real feel for the benefit of
using Struts / MVC based framework but I still can't seem to explain well to
him the main reason why he should convert!!! :(

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Best Regards
--Alen