Struts (and JSTL) will be happy with a LinkedHashMap as it is a member of
the Collection class hierarchy.

I would not recommend with custom tags unless you need custom functionality.
If you really can't change the existing method names you should consider
adding additional methods that are bean compliant (they can just delegate to
the existing methods). You should consider deprecating the old methods so
they could be removed in future.

If you can't touch the existing classes at all (why?), think about using
adaptor classes.

Steve