--- Ranko Bijelonic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would not call it persnickety, although there is no immediate problem.
>  My
> concern is that there is a lot of duplication of funtionality (if there
> is).
> If form handling equal to that of Struts was added to the Servlet
> specification (for example by providing a standard implementation of a
> Filter to do so given a configuration in web.xml), would it then be
> equivalent to Sturts?

The fact is that the Servlet spec does not provide equivalent features to
Struts.  Struts wouldn't exist if the Servlet spec already had everything
web developers needed.

> Basically, it seems to me that much of the framework that Struts
> provides is
> already provided by the Servlet specification.

No, Struts provides a higher level framework for creating webapps that the
Servlet spec does not address.  JSF does provide a standardized framework
comparable to Struts but it isn't finalized yet.

> If the energy used to
> develop Struts was used to make JCP somehow make these ease of
> programing
> changes that are missing, would we end up with a much better, cleaner,
> and
> simpler framework?

JSF is, in many ways, a standardized version of Struts.  However, they're
not exactly the same and can be used together.

David

> Or am I completely off here and the MVC framework provided by the
> container
> is really not the same as the one provided by Struts.  Again, its a
> general
> question, I have no pressing need that needs to be addressed.  Thanks.
>
> ranko

=== message truncated ===