----- Original Message -----
From: "Ranko Bijelonic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Zhou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 8:31 PM
Subject: RE: Struts MVC framework similar to that of a servlet container?

> >I am getting more clear about your thinking. But saying both (container
and
> >Struts) are MVC frameworks is not accurate in my opinion. Because a
> >container provides you only a 'C' in the MVC pattern; Struts provides you
> >action controller ('C') and form bean ('M') and custom tags in JSP pages
> >('V').
>
> The custom tags (especially now with JSTL) can be used with the container
> 'C' also.  So now we are left with 'M'.

There are no counterparts of the Struts html tag library in JSTL. So we
can't
reach the conclusion so quickly. JSF is supposed to offer that. But it is
not born yet.

> I don't consider form beans to be the model, or the whole of the model.
> However its much closer like that.

You are right. That is the problem of the current form bean model in
Struts 1.1. However, one of benefits of staying with Struts is that you have
more choices than you pave your own roads. For example, we have
form bean model that is qualified as level one model (12 standard
types are supported, not just string). The Struts users may not want to
use it today, but they have the CHOICES. Someday for some reason,
some of them may use it.

If someone paves his own roads, the choices are up in the air ... That
is my point. Of course, for a particular individual or project, the choice
might not be that important.

Jing

Struts