Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
For better or for worse, Struts 1.x is going to remain based on Servlet
2.2 and JSP 1.1 as the base technologies,

For the record, I just got back from a training gig with one of the largest companies on the planet. They are currently standardized on Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1. There is an intention to move forward at some time, but no date has been set for the time when all of their servers will be running 2.3/1.2 (or later).

At the same time, they have also become very standards-orientated and very maintenance-orientated, having already learned the hard lessons. So, Struts is a natural choice for new development on old servers.

Since there are still many, many companies just like this one, I personally think it's a very good idea for us to keep Struts 1.x on Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.2. At the same time, I think it's a very good idea for a new clean-room version of Struts to be designed for Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0.

People who are able to use the latest and greatest can work on one version of Struts and the rest of us can work on the other. An open source project like this can scale to as many people who are interested in devoting their time and energy to improving the framework.

-Ted.

-- Ted Husted, Junit in Action - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>, Struts in Action - <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>, JSP Site Design - <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1861005512>.