There is a "struts way" of doing it (at least, I think, it's the struts
way). You just have to declare the parameter of your bean as a java.util.Date and
have a property named org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.date in your
standard properties file, e.g.
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.date=dd.MM.yy. The same works for numbers, too.
You can also specify your own property by
using the formatKey-Property of the bean:write-Tag
(http://localhost:8080/struts-documentation/userGuide/struts-bean.html#write)

Björn