I cannot switch to Sturts 1.1 because I use BEA
WebLogic 6.1sp2 and a known WL bug limits the number
of total jars you can use in an application to a
collective name length of 80 characters. :( Same
reason why I also cannot use JSTL.

Since struts 1.1 imports a few more new jars, I exceed
the limit and the app doesn't work anymore.

But I have found enough suggestions and hints from all
of you to implement a suitable workaround, thank you!

For other projects not using WL 6.1sp2, I have already
upgraded to Struts 1.1. Haven't done the date thing
there yet, as I do it with JSTL there.