Somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1, the "format" attribute was added to the <bean:write> tag. You can specify a format string and it will apply the format to the underlying object. The tag has internal logic which determines which kind of formatter to create, but basically if your object is a Date, it will use a SimpleDateFormatter:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/struts-bean.html#write

There's no global change you can make here, besides subclassing java.util.Date and overriding the toString() method.

Joe