Ruth, Brice wrote:

[snip]
On the first point, our site will have a global landing page that will present the user with flags to choose their locale.

This is semi-offtopic, but might be of interest.

When I worked on a large scale multi-lingual app in Europe a few years ago, my intent was to do exactly this (but with a tweak -- the landing page language was determined by the browser's default language setting). However, I was informed by more than a few Europeans that using flags for language choice was not being culturally sensitive -- if I'm a French-speaking person living in Belgium or Switzerland, it's going to irritate me greatly to have to click the flag of France -- and it's not a 1:1 relationship for any multilingual country (as these two, among others, are).

Craig