Adam Hardy wrote:

On 10/20/2003 05:57 PM Ruth, Brice wrote:

Adam Hardy wrote:

If that's a real .jsp file then that has to be a real us directory in your website. If that's the case, you can set the locale via a tag in the JSP. Alternatively you could use a filter. Have you thought of character encoding? If you have to set the request character encoding, then you may as well take care of the locale at the same time. A popular method is to use a filter called SetCharacterEncodingFilter which is easy to find the source code for on google or the tomcat website somewhere.

I was talking about virtual directories that are just mappings which the action servlet looks at. If you aren't going to use a filter, you could set the locale in the action instead, by checking the mapping path for the locale code.

HTH
Adam

OK, I have to admit I'm a bit confused now :). I would like to be able to use a virtual directory structure, where /us/, /de/, /fr/, etc. just trigger something in Struts to set the locale appropriately, so that when /index.jsp is accessed under a particular virtual directory, its localized properly. Is this possible? As for character encoding, I hadn't really given it much thought and I'm not too familiar with filters, either ... is that a Struts feature or a JSP/Tomcat feature?

Thanks!

You would access /us/index.do, where *.do is the servlet mapping to struts in the web.xml, and /us/index is the struts action mapping to index.jsp. The real path of the index.jsp is hidden from public view by struts.

I doesn't have to be *.do - you can set up web.xml to map any pattern to struts - for instance /us/index.schmindex would be *.schmindex

Filters are not struts - they're in the J2EE servlet spec. You set them up in web.xml as well. They're a lead pipe cinch. They act on a mapping which the request must match for them to take effect, but most of the time in this sort of situation, the mapping is just /* for everything.

Tomcat processes the filters on the request before passing it to struts.

Adam

OK, so I understand hiding the .jsp from the world with Struts, that's cool by me - I can handle that. So in that context, the virtual paths makes sense. As for the filters, would I set up a filter for say /us, /de, /fr - and then have Tomcat add the correct locale to the session before the request is passed on to Struts? Is that the use of filters in this situation?

Brice

--
Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst