Good man I hate IDE's (well xcode is okay but its not really an ide in same way as all that eclipse nonsense)..

Something you will need is ant or even make to build your project. I get the impression that you're compiling using javac and adding the classes to your class path.

If you look through the tomcat docs there's an example project using ant.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

This will take a few hours and you'll need to install ant, feel free to post me off the list if you want a hand with this as its not really a struts question

Cheers Mark