From: "Frank Burns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: Suggestion needed on good Struts book

I would say I'm smack bang in the middle of my Struts learning curve and, in
my opinion, the single most useful resource I have found is this six-part
series of articles:

http://www.ftponline.com/javapro/2002_09/online/servletsjsp_bkurniawan_09_13_02/

In terms of books, I've got both "Struts In Action" and "Programming Jakarta
Struts".

Each have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of the depth and breadth
of information that they contain.

However, in terms of *how* the information is presented, I personally find
the "Struts In Action" really frustrating. It's as though the content has
been *forced* into the "In Action" format. And the result, unfortunately, is
that it works neither as a good hand-held tour through Struts (very
long-winded, and repetitive), nor as a useful reference book (the useful
information is scattered throughout its various sections). And, finally, I
have the FOURTH *corrected* reprint, and it's still riddled with typos.

My recommendation would be the above-mentioned series of articles and
"Programming Jakarta Struts".

Frank.