I have to second Dave's opinion. I have Strings In Action, Mastering Jakarta Struts, Mastering Jakarta Struts and JSP Site Design. The book I turn to again and again is Struts In Action. What I truly like about Ted's book, beside the fact that I won a free copy from him, is that he goes into a lot of design theory. For instance, he talks about how the Action classes become a firewall to your web application. It's little things like that which sets it apart from the rest.

Ed
David Evans wrote:

I have both the O'Reilly and Struts in Action. I think the O'Reilly book
is better when you're first starting out, it's overview presentation was
easier to understand for me. But the Struts in Action book really goes
into a lot greater depth about the possibilities form using the tools
Struts provides.

For example, how do you get the data in an ActionForm into your business
objects? Struts in Action lists 8 different approaches, pros and cons,
etc. The O'Reilly book presents a single approach.

If you just wanna "get it done" the O'Reilly book is a faster way. If
you want to understand the many possible ways to do it, i think the
Struts in Action is alot better.

dave