> On Feb 8, 2022, at 1:16 PM, Jef Driesen  wrote:
>
> On 8/02/2022 21:54, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:
>> I haven't spent any time at all on the GitHub wiki setup to know how easily
>> we could curate this and more importantly how easily one can create useful
>> deep links to specific answers that could be posted into email / the forum.
>> I understand very well how to manage submissions to the GitHub.io
>> <http://GitHub.io> page through PRs.
>> I need to spend time to understand how that would work with the wiki.
>> Because the very last thing I need on earth is another time sucking task.
>> I'd still likely be leaning towards just a set of markdown pages on the
>> GitHub.io <http://GitHub.io> site instead of a wiki - but that's mainly
>> because I haven't done the work to investigate how that would really work.
>
> That's exactly what github wikis are: a collection of markdown files managed
> in a git repository. If you login to your account, you should see a link to
> clone the wiki locally. Should be something like:
>
> https://github.com/subsurface/subsurface.wiki.git

That is fascinating. I have to create that first page for this to work - but I
played with it in your wiki and that does seem like a reasonable compromise. If
we assume that we don't want to deal with translations, this is maybe an easier
way to go.

> As far as I know, there is no interface for PRs, but you can always publish
> it as a normal repo in the project, and then manually push to the wiki repo
> to publish changes. It might even be possible to automate that last part with
> a github action?

Yeah - but likely that would get us back to the place that we're in with the
GitHub.io page. Because fundamentally - either I allow people to edit the wiki
(so I give people like Jason edit rights to the wiki) - or I do this via the PR
interface and then I might as well build GitHub.io pages. There really wouldn't
be any difference.

So I'll have to take a look at how easy it would be to have a group of users
whom I give write access to the wiki. And I'll use you and Jason as guinea pigs
for this - just to give this a try :)

Thanks for pushing in this direction. Because the easier I make this, the more
likely I'll be to get strong help.

/D