Netconvert supports shapefile input (
https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Networks/Import/ArcView.html)
If you set option --ignore-errors, it will tolerate missing fromNode and
toNode ids.
Nodes will be added automatically and and nodes within a configurable
distance (shapefile.node-join-dist) will be merged.
However, this will only build sidewalks of fixed width.
There is currently no code that ties together shapefiles with custom
walkingarea shapes (
https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Networks/PlainXML.html#walking_areas)

regards,
Jakob