Dear dail-list-ists,

I visited Cabrillo National Monument Saturday and talked with Ranger George
about the Spanish attempts to finish what Columbus started. I am full of
questions but feel sure that some of you can help me.
For decades after Spanish colonies had been established in Mexico, they
still believed the Pacific was only a third as big as it is. I don't
understand this. Of course, finding the longitude for purposes of navigation
is tough because the accuracy required is high and the conditions are
terrible, i.e., a rocking surface that is not in the same place for any two
observations, the need for a good fix greatest when the observing conditions
are worst, and no access to libraries of reference material and
mathematically-minded consultants. But how can it be that hard to determine
the longitude of, say, Mexico City with an accuracy of at least 10 degrees,
even given only 16th century technology? I would imagine sending a couple
grad students over to record the time of day (night) that various stars
disappear and reappear behind the moon, sending the tables back to Spain
where similar observations were made, and setting the brightest mathematical
minds of the empire to work comparing the two sets of observations to come
up with a fix on the longitude.
Apparently something similar was eventually done using a lunar eclipse, but
the result was still off by 25 degrees. A lunar eclipse is a rather sluggish
event. Is this really a better method than occultations? Was the final error
due to poor observations or poor theory, or is that the inherent accuracy of
the method?
Ranger George seemed to think that the expectations that the Earth was
smaller greatly inhibited the discovery of the actual size. The ancient
Greeks had believed in a rather small value, and who could question their
authority? It was also an important point of theology at that time that the
Gospel had spread to all mankind, so the Americas logically had to be
connected by land to Asia. I have trouble believing that hard-headed
economic interest in knowing the truth would not win out over these
prejudices, but then, I am definitely a child of my age.
Knowing where Mexico is is only half the problem, but finding the longitude
of Asia could be solved by the same method, unless the Spanish did not have
a presence there. When did the first European ship reach Asia? The first
Spanish ship? Was it sailing from the West or the East? Was Magellan's fleet
the first to cross the Pacific or only the first to accomplish a
circumnavigation in one piece?
Thanks for any elucidations.

--Art Carlson