Thanks for the many responses to my questions. I think am starting to get a
grip on the situation. In the first place, the time between the discovery of
America and the measurement of the exact longitude using a total lunar
eclipse was not all that long - 85 years in an age when a single voyage
could take years. The alternative of using the position of the moon relative
to the stars would have been just too complicated for the knowledge of the
time. Of course, chronometers and telescopes (to observe Jovian eclipses)
did not exist. And it's not like the Europeans had a lot of time on their
hands to measure the longitude of Asia either. Vasco da Gama did not reach
India until 6 years after the discovery of America.

What I still don't understand is this: Even without an exact measurement of
the longitude, how could Cabrillo still think it was only a hop, skip, and a
jump from Mexico to Asia 20 years after Magellan had taken 4 months to cross
the Pacific? Magellan was sailing for Spain, so the knowledge of the rough
size of the Pacific must have been available to Cabrillo (as if you could
keep such a story secret anyway).

--Art Carlson