> At 07:14 AM 9/1/99 -0400, Mac Oglesby wrote:
> >
> >I wonder what it would take to make it a sundial showing hours until
dark.
> >That is, how would the time of "dark" (relative to sunset) be determined?

Hello Mac,

in astronomy the definition of "dark" is connected to the definition of the
twilight.
Twilight is caused by the scattering of sunlight from upper layers of the
Earth's atmosphere.

In  the "Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Almanac"- 1992 - p.
492 - the twilights are defined in the following way  :

- The Astronomical Twilight begins at sunset and is conventionally taken to
end when the center of the Sun reaches an altitude of - 18 deg.
The indirect illumination from the Sun on a horizontal surface is about
0.0006 lux, rather less then the contribution from starlight and airglow
(about 0.002 lux)
The   illumination received from full Moon is about 0.1 lux

 - The Nautical Twilight is conventionally taken to end when the center of
the Sun reaches an altitude of - 12 deg : the sea horizon is in general not
visible and is too dark for the observation of altitudes with reference the
horizon.
The indirect illumination from the Sun on a horizontal surface is about
0.008 - 0.01 lux

 - The Civil Twilight is conventionally taken to end when the center of the
Sun reaches an altitude of - 6 deg.
After Civil Twilight  outdoor activities that depend on natural lighting
require artificial illumination. The brightest stars are visible and the sea
horizon is clearly defined.
The indirect illumination from the Sun on a horizontal surface is about 1-3
lux

With my program SUND98P distributed by NASS in September 1998,  it's
possible to calculate and to draw sundials that mark the hours to the
twilight
 (Civil , Nautical or Astronomical) and therefore the hours of light.
Sundials of this type can be used in open places , ski fields, camp sites ,
etc.

The hour lines are not straight lines but curves and they have the shape of
those in  the attached image (horizontal Sundial with Lat. = 50 deg - Civil
Twilight)

Best

Gianni Ferrari

Ing. Gianni Ferrari
Via Valdrighi, 135
41100 - MODENA  ( ITALY )
EMail :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.tripod.com/meridiane/index.htm

Attachment converted: MAC Hard Disk:Twi1.jpg (JPEG/JVWR) (0001A7F9)