Hello dialists:

I would like to use a solid brass rod for the vertical gnomon of my new
horiz. sundial.  Because this dial is quite large, 60" X 40", the gnomon
will be 12" tall.  It needs to be sturdy enough so that it cannot be bent by
inquiring little hands, at least 1/4" thick, I should think. (Is there even
such a thing as a child-proof sundial?).  For safety reasons and ease of
shadow readings, I'll also use a brass sphere, 3/8" to 1/2" wide, either
screwed or welded on top the brass rod. ( If I used a pointed sharp
gnomon/style, I can just see the headlines: "Child Impaled to death on
sundial!").

Anyway, my current brass supplier only has rods up to 3/16" thick, and I
can't find small brass spheres anywhere.  Does anybody know the name or tel.
# of a brass supplier anywhere?  I'm sure other dialists on the list could
use this information also.

Thanks again,

John Carmichael
http://www.azstarnet.com/~pappas