At 07:14 AM 9/1/99 -0400, Mac Oglesby wrote:

>I wonder what it would take to make it a sundial showing hours until dark.
>That is, how would the time of "dark" (relative to sunset) be determined?

Hi Mac,

This is an excellent challenge.

First, we have to define "dark". Bowditch defines Civil Twilight as 0 to -6
degrees solar altitude, Nautical Twilight as 0 to -12 degrees and
Astronomical Twilight as 0 to -18 degrees. This is why star gazing in the
summer at my latitude (51) is so frustrating. We don't get the dark skies
back until mid August. The limiting latitude for astronomical twilight on
the solstice is 48.5 degrees.  90-23.5-18=48.5

I believe you could add horizontal lines to the virtual section of a
sundial (when the sun is below the horizon) for -6, -12 and -18 degrees and
see where the lines intersect the hour lines. Good programs like Zonwvlak
trap these errors but my old spreadsheet programs were quite happy to
calculate and plot these virtual lines.

The brute force numerical solution would be to use the navigators' altitude
equation  and solve for the time angle t at altitudes of -6, -12 and -18
degrees.
Sin Altitude = Sin Dec * Sin Lat - Cos Dec * Cos Lat * Cos t

An approximation would be to estimate how long it takes for the sun to set
to -6, -12 and -18 degrees based on psi,the angle of the setting sun with
the horizon. When the altitude is zero, Cos psi = Sin Lat / Cos Dec. A
useful approximation for the setting sun is psi is  approximately equal to
the co-latitude. The time for the sun to set is  proportional to 1/Sin psi.
This explains why tropical sunsets are so abrupt and northern sunsets are
so mellow. It is not just the fact that time flies when you are having fun.
I will be expanding on this theme at the NASS conference next month with a
presentation on "Sunset Phenomena".

Or you could say it is dark when the street lights come on. When I was
growing up in Norman Rockwell Land, when the street lights came on, it was
dark and we all had to go home.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115