All,

I'm sorry I was only half awake when this thread started so forgive me if
I'm off course.  If I had to lay out a large dial (say 100 ft) to a high
degree of accuracy  (say .1 of an inch) I would plot all the points not as
x,y co-ordinates.  I would plot them all out as the intersection of two
lines from two fixed points.

To see what I mean pick 2 points that are well established, e.g., point A
where the gnomom meets the dial face,  and point B some number of feet due
north (in line with the gnomon base) of point A.  Every point on the dial
face is now at the intersection of two tape measures that start at points A
and B.  Assuming that the dial face is flat the accuracy would be good as
the tape measures used.  For the points that are almost inline with the AB
line, a third point C could be used as one of the points.  Point C could be
calculated from points A and B.  Of course the computer would have to
calculate all of the points for you.

As a crude ASCII art:  Point X is 30" 1 1/4" from point A, and 22" 3 7/8"
from point B.  (A metric tape measure would be a lot handier)

     \
       \
         \
           \
             \
            /   X
           /                                                            C
         /
        /
       /
      /