OOPS, sorry for the earlier empty post caused by finger trouble caused by brain
trouble caused by ...

A good approach, Ron, but the complexity lies in:

" Of course the computer would have to calculate all of the points for you."

The complexity can be reduced by following your suggestions for selecting Point
A at the centre of the dial face and Point B at the North intersection of the
meridian and the dial circle.  Then all your fractional and whole hour lines
can be easily set by keeping the AC distance constant ( = to the radius of the
dial circle or the"construction layout" dial circle)  and varying your BC
distance to obtain your points, and therefore lines, in either one of two ways:

1)  straight line distance from B to C, which  requires a complex calculation
or,

2)  arc length distance from B to C which is simply calculated but is a little
more difficult to measure since you are measuring along a curve.  (This is an
"R - THETA", or polar coordinate system, where THETA is determined by arc
length rather than by angle directly.)

I should have pointed out in my earlier post that this is really easy if you
make a template by cutting an arc from a piece of plywood.  For Celeste,
referred to in my posting,