Hi Steve and all,

I neglected to mention that Karen's dial using just fingers tells north and the
time
without any other tools than fingers, a rough estimate of the Latitude, a
knowledge
of the method and of course having the sun out.  As a result one can know the
time
and direction in an unprepared situation within 15 minutes of time and easily
10
degrees of direction.  I've found this quite useful when I've been without a
watch
or wondered what direction something was.  It also staves off withdrawal from
other
sundial watching!  :-)  Your experience may vary.

Hope this helps!

Edley