Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: Expanded Nodi Shadow Experiment

Hi John,

Since you are in a very dry climate with clear weather you may not
notice that with hazy light the cone image is quite forshortened and
points to an incorrect point.  Yes, the cone points out a line very
clearly and yes, it does look quite like a clock hand, but the very
shadow tip position is quite a way off from what it should be.  The
spherical nodus and other symetrical ones, although not so
attractive, give a much more accurate spot.  The area of untruth may
be mostly in declination rather than hour angle with most dials, such
as your neat painted dial.  You could try letting the light shine through
some thin plastic to simulate haziness, or come visit us on the coast
where hazy is very common.  Of course, too hazy and nothing works.

for an azimuth dial it might work very well, where for a pillar dial, not
so well.

Thanks for the interesting ideas!

Edley.