Hi John, Frank and all,

As Frank says, it is largely the angular width of the effective sun that
causes the major error.  On hazy days the brightness versus angle
from the center of the sun widens out, sometimes drastically.  Using
Frank's wall example, as the haziness increases, narrower wire
gnomons ( or finger shadows ) begin to disappear and the doubling
he mentions occurs with the finger tips further apart. A truncated
cone will help somewhat. I've not tried it, but a truncated cone
capped by a hemisphere of the same diameter of the truncated end
would seem a good compromise, and somewhat safer as well.

What have the rest of you folks in hazy climes discovered on this?

Let me know what you discover John, and thanks for the neat stuff!

P.S. Has anyone built a sundial using longer wavelength radiation
from the sun that would penetrate haze and even clouds?

Edley McKnight