To: "Sundial" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:41 PM
Subject: strange longitude

Greetings, fellow dialists,
Reference the sundial on the Old Grammar School, Hawkshead, Cumbria,
England. The school is a museum, famous as the place of William
Wordsworth's education. Over the door is a fine dial dated 1845 with
stated co-ordinates, latitude "54 deg. 22 min. 10 sec." and longitude
"PL 35 deg. 43 min. 40 sec."

The latitude appears to refer to the correct location but the longitude
is a puzzle which the museum curator was unable to explain. Longitude
eastward of Greenwich lands in an unremarked location in the middle of
Russia but westward takes us close to Recife, formerly Pernambuco,
Brazil. No significant place on the coast there (lighthouse, etc) fits
but I am wondering if there is or was an observatory in or near the
middle of the town. And what can the letters PL mean?
Any suggestions for this strange longitude citing?
Frank, 55N 1W