I have tried to look for the photos of the sundial of  the Old Grammar School
in Hawkshead  that are in internet and I have found:

1 -   http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/hawkgrsc.htm  ( la fotografia inviata da
Fer de Vries)

2 -   in http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk/Dotm/jul2001.htm

3 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/274942758/

>From these images it is possible to see that the staff  that sustains the
>stylus (supported to the wall),    that coincides with the substylar line,
>passes across the 9h 50m  hour line

At  the Hawkshead Latitude   to have this substylar line it is necessary  that
the declination is around -27° and   not -35°43.'

If the declination of the dial were - 35° 43' the substylar hour would be   9h
14 m.

Perhaps only a precise measure can solve the enigma  :-)

Looking at the photos we can also see that, very unusual thing, the plane of
the dial is not parallel to the wall of the school,  but more declining
(Eastward  ; at least about ten degrees)

A last note.

The photo n. 2 (sundial org)   is accompanied by 4 verses of the poet T.
Geoffrey W. Henslow : but these verses are not the same that, in the Henslow'
book   "Ye Sundial Booke" , accompany the image of the sundial of Hawkshead ,
that are

How are you, mortal, did you say?

Why, just the same as yesterday?

But, questioner, let me ask you,