Greetings fellow dialists,
Mea culpa and apologies to all. In my initial message I gave the
co-ordinates of the Hawkshead dial (Lat 54 deg. 22 min. 10 sec. and PL
35 deg. 43 min. 40 sec.) but omitted to say that between "PL" and "35
deg." the word "Long" occurs. I am most reluctant to let go of Gianni
Ferrari's brilliant polar latitude solution. I should also say that
beside the cited latitude there are some other numbers but I am fairly
sure from what I can make out in my photograph that they refer to the
declination of the dial plate away from south. It is strange how nearly
the two values add up to 90 deg.

Once again my apologies to everybody who has contributed to this problem
for not giving out the full details, and will you kindly attribute this
omission to my too many birthdays.
Frank 55N 1W