In message <4db3276b.3080...@cs-collectibles.com>
          Claude Hartman <sunlightdesi...@cs-collectibles.com> wrote:

> I would like to question the instructional qualities of analemmatic
> sundials.
>
> Unlike Tony Moss' 'Multi-dial', it is my view that there is only one
> relationship easily illustrated - the projection of a polar dial on to a
> horizontal surface is an ellipse with corresponding hour points.  It is
> extremely difficult why (or how) a vertical person or staff casts a
> shadow to these points.
>
> I am afraid that the instruction falls into rote learning of procedure
> like so many sundial kits  (and much of pedagogy).  I do not know what
> the underlying motivation was for "that part of the UK National
> Curriculum".  I assume it was to understand something of the natural
> world and not to acquire the skill of making a sundial.  Under that
> assumption I think the analemmatic falls short and could produce
> confusion for inquiring minds.
>

> Claude Hartman
> (retired science teacher basking in the sunshine of 35 N, 120 W)

Thanks again, to everyone who took the time to respond to my query.

For anyone (not in the UK), who might be curious about the specific
inclusion of sundials in the National Curriculum for schools, then
you should see what is required on this following website page at:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100612050234/http://
www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes2/science/sci3f/sci3fq8?view=get

Please note that I have 'split' the link across two lines, (since
it would not otherwise fit within my screen-width for a message),
but it should be entered into your browser as one continuous line.

A helpful man (Doug Hunt at "Sunclocks" - www.sunclocks.com ), told
me that sundials had been 'deliberately' written into the National
Curriculum by someone called Bob Kibble.  Apparently, Bob had been
a teacher who became a school Inspector - and he was then asked to
write parts of the Science curriculum, when it was revised in about
1999-2000.  Because Bob had a 'hobby of sundials', he had taken the
opportunity to include these as a "hands-on" method for teachers.

As well as Len Honey ("Science Replicas"), if anyone else may like
to consider producing a commercial 'Teaching Sundial' - then there
is likely to be a huge profit potential available, for suppliers.

With around 30,000 primary schools (in the UK alone), even if just
5% (1 in 20) of them bought a Teaching Sundial at a cost of (say)
500 Pounds - that is a 'turnover' of three-quarters-of-a-million !

Thinking about a worldwide market, you can see the possibilities.

Although Doug Hunt ("Sunclocks") had told me that the 'health and
safety' brigade have certainly had an effect on both school plus
public installations of Human Sundials - he said that (in general)
sundial suppliers ignored the huge profit potential of sales into
the 'educational sector', and leaving him with almost a monopoly.

Anyway, thankyou to everyone on this helpful Mailing List for your
recent comments - and I wish you all a very "Happy Easter" holiday.

Sincerely,

Martina Addiscott.