In message <4db41957.7040...@lindisun.demon.co.uk>
          Tony Moss <t...@lindisun.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi again Martina,
> > With around 30,000 primary schools (in the UK alone), even if just
> > 5% (1 in 20) of them bought a Teaching Sundial at a cost of (say)
> > 500 Pounds - that is a 'turnover' of three-quarters-of-a-million !
> >
> > Thinking about a worldwide market, you can see the possibilities.
> >

> In the light of your comment I'd be interested to have your professional
> opinion on the potential my 'MultiDial' (recent jpeg sent) which was
> devised especially with schools in mind. These could be produced for
> much less than £500 and would be very durable in a school situation.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Tony Moss

Thankyou Tony, for the message to this Mailing List - asking me for
my 'professional' opinion on your "Multi-dial", for sale to schools.

I am by no means an 'expert' on sundials, so (although I could have
replied to you privately) - I decided to reply to the List members,
so that other people could give their own thoughts on my comments.

This certainly looks well-made and clearly marked, plus (as you had
said previously) it does show the 'inter-relationship' between four
basic types of sundial (horizontal/vertical, equatorial and polar).

As a day progresses, people can easily see that the shadow 'tracks'
across these in a slightly different way (but still showing the same
time, on each).  In demonstrating to children how a typical sundial
works (and can indicate time fairly accurately), it is quite good.

However, in terms of fulfilling the basic elements of the National
Curriculum for schools - I think it would need to do a little more,
and here are my (personal) suggestions for 'improvements' required.

(a).  The design is obviously intended for a fixed Latitude, and so
would ideally need something to make it more 'universally' workable.

(b).  Similarly, it would also need to have the ability to be used
at different Longitudes - otherwise the children would simply get
a (wrong) impression that "sundials never show correct clock time".

(c).  Ideally, some way to compensate for Daylight-saving changes.

(d).  Its only other main 'failing', is that is does not DIRECTLY
demonstrate any varying "change of the Seasons" throughout a year.

In a sense, a large version of Len Honey's "Universal Ring Dial"
might be a better alternative - as long as it could in some way be
adjusted for the Longitude of location, as well as its Latitude.

If you are maybe thinking of selling your "Multi-dials" to schools
(either in the UK or worldwide), then I would seriously advise you
to do some simple 'market research' - before deciding to go into
full manufacture, since there will obviously be some 'tooling-up'
costs, as well as various other factors like postage and packing.

>From a school's point of view, the attractions of an interactive
ground-level 'analemmatic' are that it covers most of the basic
requirements - plus the "Modern Sunclocks" version automatically
changes itself, so coping with our twice-yearly 'clock changes'.

If only our Education Authority was not 'blinded' by their stupid
view that Human Sundials are unsafe in a school situation, we had
also intended to use it as an outdoor Art project - to brighten-up
our playground with something useful/decorative, and vandal-proof.

Anyway, I trust my brief comments (above) are of some use to you.

Sincerely,

Martina Addiscott.