Dear Dialists,

I am thinking about a sundial, which, to discourage vandalism, should not have a big gnomon, but rather a number of small ones.

I thought would be neat if they could be arranged in lines, so that at a certain hour the shadows line up, and the next 'set' lines up at another hour.

I include a small drawing to illustrate my idea. Something in the back of my mind keeps telling me that this might be the case for a shadowplane sundial, but I would like the little gnomons to be perpendicular to the face of the dial, for ease of construction.

Something is blocked in my head today, so I can't make up my mind if it works or not ... and it has been raining all day so I can't build a model either :-(

please give me a gentle prod in the right direction!
Hannes

<<inline: multignomon.jpg>>