On 13/06/2011 09:10, Alexei Pace wrote:
Good morning,
the only time I need to drill holes at an angle was through wood.
That can be done with a common drill press (ie still having the drill point vertically downwards), however you angle upwards the material to drill into at the appropriate angle. Also it has to be secured properly otherwise the drill bit tends to 'slip' especially at very shallow angles.

Best regards

Alex

Hi Alex,
Drilling holes into sloped surfaces is problematic with conventional metalworking drills because the point will want to move down the slope before cutting begins with the drill bending in extreme cases. If I had a similar job to do I would use an 'End Mill' which has a flat cutting face with no tendency to drift on slopes.

See an example at:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=end+mill&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15536978382111228765&sa=X&ei=Ju71TZfTOo2GhQeCueTNBg&ved=0CHMQ8gIwAg

This is really a cutter for a vertical milling machine but it can be used in a drill press for matrials like wood if you feed the tool in very slowly. In combination with conventional metalworking drills an end mill could be used to 'spot face' a flat on the slope before continuing with a conventional drill.

Hope this helps.

Tony Moss