From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On
Behalf Of "H. Kühtreiber"
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 1:41 PM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Re: Multignomon Sundial

John and all,

I actually do think a number of small, boring sticks don't look half as
inviting
to our average testosterone loaded kid as a prominent, well-shaped big one.
But
I also admit that the idea of producing something unusual also appeals to
me.

The dial I have in mind will be placed on a free-standing, high and narrow
'billboard' on the roadside outside my garden. I think about 250x60cm is a
good
size. It should contain several small 'sundials' (hours since sunrise,
daylength, maybe altitude of the sun), plus a no-parking sign. (sigh ...)
They all need a rod-style gnomon, but I'd rather divide them into different
dials to avoid confusion of the general public, and to stress that a
'sundial'
is an astronomic instrument rather than a boring old timekeeper.

The multignomon 'time' dial could be spread all over the place, though some
logic in arranging the hourlines  would probably make it more attractive.

The material I plan to use are Exterior Laminate Decor panels
http://www.fundermax.at/max_exterior_|_individual_decor.en.72.htm
weaterproof and ready to drill. You can supply your layout to the factory.

Thanks for all the suggestions about drilling holes, but I'd rather not go
into
this. The panels also are not thick enough to glue the gnomons in.

But Dave Bells idea of bent gnomons sounds promising. Some thought would
have to
go to the jig, since the dial is not even facing south ...

The other solution I'll investigate are shadow plane sundials. If I am not
mistaken, I could use perpendicular gnomons if they would not have to stand
on
the hourline itself. So I would have to add extra lines, but construction
would
be much simpler. I also think I do like the look of perpendicular gnomons
better.

I would like to thank my informal think-tank, but I can feel much
head-scratching ahead ;-)

Hannes

John Carmichael schrieb:
> Dear Hannes,
>
> You said in your first email that your reason for wanting multiple gnomons
> was to avoid vandalism.
>
> I can't see why a vandal would find a multiple gnomon dial less inviting
> than a single gnomon dial.  But let's assume you are right.
>
> You also said that this would be a wall dial.
>
> Wall dials that are above the reach of humans are some of the most
> vandal-resitant of all sundials.  How high will the dial be?  Is it out of
> reach?
>
> Thx
>
> John C.

On