From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On
Behalf Of Martina Addiscott
Sent: 15 May 2012 15:20
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Why are schools, across the world, 'banning' analemmatic sundials ?

Roughly one year ago, I had mentioned on this 'Mailing List' that our local
Educational Authority would not permit us to install an interactive
'analemmatic' sundial on our school playground - since their opinion was
that it was simply too dangerous, for children !

It now seems that other countries are 'banning' these, for similar "Health
and Safety" reasons - which I think is totally ridiculous, and suggest that
the general Sundial community should 'protest' to the people concerned, as
otherwise we are in danger of losing the opportunity to have these
interesting outdoor educational projects.

I know that they are generally 'frowned-upon', by schools here in Britain -
but it appears that Canadian and Australian schools have also decided, that
these 'Human Sundials' cause too much trouble !

See the page at:  www.sunclocks.com/pics/fs-007.htm#reconstituted

If anyone might like to join me in a 'campaign', to stop sundials being
discouraged by schools - then please get in touch with me by E-mail, or you
could also contact me on my mobile: +44 7769561152.

Should anyone have comments on this deplorable situation - then I would also
appreciate your thoughts, direct to the 'Mailing List'.

Sincerely,

Martina Addiscott.