I was sickened how society prevents children from growing up or learning
how to cope with life. That is until I read about Lenore Skenazy
http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ and Tim Gill
http://rethinkingchildhood.com/

It looks like this will turn around. It may take a generation or 2 to do
so. However, society is starting to figure out that the current idea is
harmful to children.