Good morning Martina,

I've been following the various replies, and I agree wholeheartedly with the
sentiments expressed about stupid attempts to reduce risk to zero.

We all have our favourite stories, but I think that these examples will top the
list. I understand that one of the largest mining companies in the world (Rio
Tinto Australia) is so concerned about risk that it has banned the use of
scissors and electric staplers. I have never seen an electric stapler where you
could hurt yourself unless you really wanted to. And as for scissors ...!

But I fail to see how a painted or other analemmatic dial poses any sort of
risk, even in the Australian sun. All primary schools here require kids to wear
hats when in the playground, and I support this. After all, Australia is the
skin cancer capital of the world, and hats make a big difference (I know from
having numerous non-malignant growths removed from my face, ears and neck after
decades of field work in deserts etc.) But analemmatic dials ...?

I despair of the direction all this is headed.

Cheers, John