Steve--

Yes, undeniably the co-Italian hours have more practical use than
Babylonian hours, as do the Temporary Hours that used to be standard before
clocks came into use.

For outdoor work like agriculture, or anything for which candle-light
wasn't sufficient, of course it mattered very much how many hours were left
before sunset(co-Italian), or  what *percentage* of the day remained
(Temporary-Hours). If you've plowed 1/3 of the field that needs plowing
today, then it's desirable that not more than 1/3 of the day has elapsed.

But I wouldn't choose Temporary Hours, because now the matter of how much
of the day is gone seems like a negative thing to remind oneself of, and
not the right way to regard the day or the time.  Maybe that's why you
don't like Babylonian Hours.

What I like about Babylonian Hours is that it tells how young the day is,
early in the morning. That's why I'd include it.

Of course, with both Babylonian and co-Italian Hours, one could determine
Temporary hours by:

T = B/(B+CI)

...where T = Temporary
             B = Babylonian