You can create a 'projected' sundial by placing the sundial pattern inside the opening. The shadow of this pattern will move over the reading point on the floor. See Nass compendium vol 1 nr 3 page 6. I designed this type as a vandal proof dial, it is transparant "projection type". No parts that can be broken or removed. The pattern can be on a perspex pane placed inside the parapet but you can also keep the parapet open and create the pattern by placing wires in the parapet to get the reuired pattern.
Thibaud