Dear All,

A few minutes ago I said...

dave.pr...@aber.ac.uk said:
> So, it seems that the main instructions in the admin guide are not
> sufficient and I am going to need some hybrid of the old opensolaris/
> solaris express type bodges mixed in with the new admin
> instructions...

So I am now looking at

http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/SRS_5.1_on_Solaris_11_Express

as well as the advice given to me yesterday and I am reading
the lastest SunRay admin guide (august edition).

The wiki page has material about changing between different
flavours of IP interface control and wiki says...

  svcadm disable network/physical:nwam
  svcadm enable network/physical:default

But my fresh Solaris 11 installation already has the second
enabled but also has another service...

online         17:50:52 svc:/network/physical:upgrade
online         17:50:55 svc:/network/physical:default

So can I assume that's o.k.?

Thw wiki also says...

  update /etc/hosts to specify a static IP address for your hostname,
  and   eliminate your hostname from the localhost line

  edit /etc/hostname.INTF to contain your hostname, where "INTF" is
  your network interface name (see ifconfig -a output)

  edit /etc/netmasks to contain the appropriate netmask for your
  subnet

  create /etc/defaultrouter containing the IP address or hostname
  of your subnet's router

But from what I can see, "ifconfig -a" now only shows interfaces
which are active and it seems to me that the "correct" way
to handle IP / interfaces is to use the   ipadm  program
and routeadm and so on.

I notice we also have routing related services
running on our fresh Solaris 11 installation.

  svcs | grep rout
  online         17:51:04 svc:/network/routing-setup:default
  online         17:51:08 svc:/network/routing/route:default
  online         17:51:15 svc:/network/routing/ndp:default

So, should I be editing /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname.INTF,
/etc/netmasks and /etc/defaultrouter or should I really be making
changes "another way" now on Solaris 11??

I don't (at present) need Sunray windows connector (SWRC)
running by the way as we don't use that at present. We only
use our SunRays to get to Solaris machines.

Anyway, if anyone has either some complete notes, or can offer comments
on how much I need to do over and above SunRay admin  guide
and whether or not I do need to do all or some
of the things from the
http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/SRS_5.1_on_Solaris_11_Express
wiki page..

Thanks for advice and help so far...