Systematically backing up to CD still seems the best option. I have a dual layer DVD burner but have seen reports of up to 30% of DVD-Rs have errors.

Tapes are a very inconvenient and expensive back-up option. They need exercising and comprehensively labeling their contents is difficult. Spooling through a long tape just to get at a simple file is tedious.

DVD-RAM Dual layer (encased) would be my choice, but it seems to have little support and there is nothing worse than having old technology or even worse just one very expensive drive (like a tape) to read all your backups.

Peter