On 01/20/09 17:34, HeavyDuty wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> HeavyDuty wrote:
>>
>>> "Chatting"  with Comcast tech support on line is an act of
>>> frustration. It, of course, as Peter Potomus has repeatedly noted, the
>>> techs only script is related to Outlook Express and IE. The techs have
>>> NO IDEA about settings for any other e-mail provider besides Comcast.
>>
>> here, do this.  Start up OE, get the instructions from them for the OE
>> settings.  Come back here, and tell us what they said.  Then someone can
>> help you from there.
>>
> OK Peter, the results are in.
>
> In Outlook Express, advanced settings:
> Outgoing Port 25
> Outgoing mail server email.mcleodusa.net
> X my server requires authentication
> X use same settings as my incoming mail server
>
> Incoming Mail Server POP3
> (nameofaccount)@mcleodusa.net
> password xxxxxxxxx
> X Log on using secure pass authentication.
>
> These settings DO NOT work and produce a "421" error.
>
> I tried this on ports 25 and 587.

Well, Mcleod told you to use port 25, so there no use in try port 587.
It's not a magic number - for it to be useful, someone has to be
listening on it.

>> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'email.mcleodusa.net', Server:
>> 'email.mcleodusa.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect
>> to SMTP server 63.254.138.23 (63.254.138.23:25), connect error 10060', Port:
>> 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

421 is an SMTP server error. Specifically, it is a temporary failure (generally,
it means the server is too busy, but it could mean other temporary failures as
well). The corrective action is usually to just "try again." and it may work.

What this *does* tell us is that you're talking to the SMTP server on port 25,
so at least you've gotten that far.

>> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'email.mcleodusa.net',
>> Server: 'email.mcleodusa.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No,
>> Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Yes, this error says no one is listening on port 587, but we expected that
based on what Mcleod told you :-)

> I tried this while on the phone with McLeodusa tech support.
> This is being "escalated."
> I'll just have wait now to find out if McLeodusa and Comcast
> are at odds, or what.

At this point, it doesn't see that Comcast is in the picture. The only thing
they can do (as far as I know) is block the port, which they don't appear
to be doing (or you wouldn't have gotten the 'temporary failure' error above).

> Then, as you have suggested, when OE works, you are someone
> can help translate the OE settings to Seamonkey.

I think anyone will be able to help you. Before you ask, though, just take the
settings they've provided and have a look at the SeaMonkey server settings
dialog. I think you'll find everything right there.