HeavyDuty wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
HeavyDuty wrote:

"Chatting" with Comcast tech support on line is an act of frustration. It, of course, as Peter Potomus has repeatedly noted, the techs only script is related to Outlook Express and IE. The techs have NO IDEA about settings for any other e-mail provider besides Comcast.

here, do this. Start up OE, get the instructions from them for the OE settings. Come back here, and tell us what they said. Then someone can help you from there.

OK Peter, the results are in.

In Outlook Express, advanced settings:
Outgoing Port 25
Outgoing mail server email.mcleodusa.net
X my server requires authentication
X use same settings as my incoming mail server

Incoming Mail Server POP3
(nameofaccount)@mcleodusa.net
password xxxxxxxxx
X Log on using secure pass authentication.

These settings DO NOT work and produce a "421" error.

I tried this on ports 25 and 587.

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'email.mcleodusa.net', Server: 'email.mcleodusa.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 63.254.138.23 (63.254.138.23:25), connect error 10060', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'email.mcleodusa.net', Server: 'email.mcleodusa.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I tried this while on the phone with McLeodusa tech support.
This is being "escalated."
I'll just have wait now to find out if McLeodusa and Comcast are at odds, or what.

Then, as you have suggested, when OE works, you are someone can help translate the OE settings to Seamonkey.

Stand bye.

I'm going out on a limb here, and tell you a story. I recently found out that some people, in certain countries, can now download hotmail into SeaMonkey Mail, without using a program such as FreePops or the webmail extension. Hotmail has now become pop3 compatible. This is great news. Now, when I did what the instructions said, I had problems. It said to Use Secure Authentication and SSL setting. When I did this, nothing would work. After fiddling around, I found a combo. For Pop access, don't select the Authentication part, and select SSL. For SMTP, select the password and user name, but use TLS.

Well, thats my story. Take it for what its worth.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm