On 12/11/09 00:43, Chris Ilias wrote:
> Philip Chee already stated in this thread [1], that not adding grippies
> was intentional, because it didn't conform to Apple's human interface
> guidelines [2].
> /snip/
> [1]<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/msg/7f1c3372a7d4aada>
>
> [2]<http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIntro/XHIGIntro.html>

I've just spent some time looking at the referenced document and I think
I found the relevant information in the Controls -> View Controls ->
Split Views section.
Yes, the Apple HIG [1] state that an horizontal splitter cannot have
"grippies" because the pointer should be the same all over the splitter
bar, but I didn't find anything suggesting that an horizontal splitter
cannot be double clicked to automatically move it to the bottom of the
window. In the same way, a splitter bar at the bottom of the window
could be double clicked to restore it to its last position.
In fact, this is the precise behavior of the horizontal splitter bar
that delimits the thread pane and message pane in Apple Mail.app 3.6
(936), that is the last Mail.app version in Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.
So, IMHO, the old behavior can be restored without violating the Apple
HIG. If you and/or Philip Chee don't agree, please point us to the
specific section of the specs that confirms your thesis.

P.S.
By the way, are you sure that the new theme's splitters are "either
zero-width (1 pixel wide) or “thick” (9 pixels wide)"?
If not, *this* violates the Apple HIG.

P.P.S.
I've just noticed that the vertical splitter between the addresses and
attachments areas in the message composition window is undoubtedly too
wide to conform to the specs.

[1] <http://tinyurl.com/ybnp85b>

--
Andrea "XFox" Govoni

AIM/iChat/ICQ: x...@mac.com
Yahoo! ID: xfox82
Skype Name: draykan

PGP
KeyID: 0x212E69C1
Fingerprint: FBE1 CA7D 34BE 4A53 9639  5C36 B7A0 605F 212E 69C1