chicagofan wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
NoOp wrote:

I do notice in your
http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/Private/E-S_post_bug_SM2/SS-es-1.jpg that
your outgoing server is: localhost (Default). Do you actually expect to
post to news.ethernal-september.org via 'localhost (Default)'?

NNTP<=> SMTP, SMTP is mail, used when you "reply all" or similar. If SM2 is trying to use that for the NNTP POST command it is sadly broken. However, since other news servers, authenticated and not, work just fine with that outgoing
SMTP server setting, I assume the problem is elsewhere.

In hopes of someone having a clue where 'elsewhere' might be I put up the
screenshots. I think it points to an error inside SM2 that this happens only on
this server which doesn't demand authentication, and one other similar
(non-public) server which also allows access to small information without auth.

Eternal-September is working for me on Port 119, but it DOES require authentication, so on the server settings page for that news account, I have checked the box to always request authentication.

Are you saying you are using another port for ES which does not require authentication?

It seems possible that the lack of a demand for auth:
    480 authentication required
may somehow confuse SM, although I don't quite see how. In any case, it never
even tries to POST, suggesting that internally the connection has been
identified as read-only. I have no idea what would cause that.

Does this extra information give anyone a clue?

I'm confused why your connections would not require authentication the same as mine. Maybe if we determine that, we'll stumble on the answer you need. :)

Yours don't need authentication, either. ES will allow you to connect and read the motzarella.* and ES.* groups just fine w/o auth. Auth is needed to access other groups on the servers.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>