Bill Davidsen wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
In hopes of someone having a clue where 'elsewhere' might be I put up the
screenshots. I think it points to an error inside SM2 that this happens only
on this server which doesn't demand authentication, and one other similar
(non-public) server which also allows access to small information
without auth.

Eternal-September is working for me on Port 119, but it DOES require
authentication, so on the server settings page for that news account, I
have checked the box to always request authentication.

Are you saying you are using another port for ES which does not require
authentication?

It seems possible that the lack of a demand for auth:
     480 authentication required
may somehow confuse SM, although I don't quite see how.

Does this extra information give anyone a clue?

I'm confused why your connections would not require authentication the
same as mine.  Maybe if we determine that, we'll stumble on the answer
you need.  :)

Yours don't need authentication, either. ES will allow you to connect and read
the motzarella.* and ES.* groups just fine w/o auth. Auth is needed to access
other groups on the servers.

That's strange, because these [below] were the instructions I received by e-mail, after I wrote them about my connection problems after the changeover from Motzarella. These instructions cleared up my problem:

    " I can't sign up for a new account, because it says I have an existing
     account."

That was to be expected. You may continue to use your existing
user name and password.

    "When I tried just changing my Motzarella address to
     eternal-september... nothing happens.

     What am I doing wrong about this transition?  Thank you...."

Please create a new account/server in your *client*, using the
new server name "news.eternal-september.org" and your existing
user name and password. *Please don't forget to set*:

[X] Always authenticate (wording depends on your newsreader)

As mentioned before, this solved my problems.
bj